Serves : 12 servings
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Start to Finish: 1 Hour 35 Minutes
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 can (20 oz) pineapple slices in juice, drained, juice reserved
- 1 jar (6 oz) maraschino cherries without stems, drained
- 1 box (15.25 oz) yellow cake mix with pudding in the mix
- Vegetable oil and eggs called for on cake mix box
- Sweetened Whipped Cream , if desired
Preparation Method :
1) Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pan). In 13x9-inch pan, melt butter in oven. Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over butter. Arrange pineapple slices on brown sugar. Place cherry in center of each pineapple slice, and arrange remaining cherries around slices; press gently into brown sugar.
2) Add enough water to reserved pineapple juice to measure 1 cup. Make cake batter as directed on box, using oil and eggs and substituting pineapple juice mixture for the water. Pour batter over pineapple and cherries.
3) Bake 42 to 48 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Immediately run knife around sides of pan to loosen cake. Place heatproof serving plate upside down over pan; turn plate and pan over. Let stand 5 minutes so topping drizzles over cake; remove pan. Cool 30 minutes. Serve warm or cool with whipped cream. Store covered in refrigerator.
Sweetened Whipped Cream
- For 3 cups of sweetened whipped cream, in chilled large bowl, beat 1½ cups whipping cream, 3 tablespoons granulated or powdered sugar and 1½ teaspoons vanilla with electric mixer on low speed until mixture begins to thicken. Gradually increase speed to high and beat just until soft peaks form.