Serves : 12 servings
Preparation time : 25 minutes
Start to Finish: 2 Hours
CAKE AND FILLING
- 1 cup very hot water
- 1 box (4-serving size) raspberry-flavored gelatin
- 1 box (16.25 oz) white cake mix with pudding in the mix
- ½ cup frozen (thawed) lemonade concentrate
- ¼ cup water
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 4 egg whites
FROSTING AND DECORATIONS
- 1 container (12 oz) vanilla whipped ready-to-spread frosting
- 1 cup frozen (thawed) whipped topping
- 1½ cups fresh raspberries, if desired
- Lemon peel strips, if desired
Preparation Method :
1) Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pan). Spray bottom only of 1 (13x9-inch) pan with baking spray with flour. In small bowl, mix hot water and gelatin until gelatin is completely dissolved; cool slightly.
2) In large bowl, beat cake mix, ¼ cup of the gelatin mixture, ¼ cup of the lemonade concentrate, the water, oil and egg whites with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, then on medium speed 2 minutes. Pour batter into pan. Reserve remaining gelatin mixture and lemonade concentrate.
3) Bake 25 to 31 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. With long-tined fork, pierce top of warm cake every inch. Remove 1 tablespoon of the reserved gelatin mixture to microwavable custard cup or small bowl. In another small bowl, mix remaining gelatin mixture and remaining ¼ cup lemonade concentrate; pour slowly over cake. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
4) In medium bowl, fold together frosting and whipped topping. Frost cake. Microwave 1 tablespoon gelatin mixture uncovered on High 10 seconds to liquefy. Using ¼ teaspoon measuring spoon, place small drops of gelatin mixture over frosting. Using spoon or toothpick, swirl gelatin into frosting. Top each piece with raspberries and lemon peel. Store covered in refrigerator.
- Sweet Success To make the lemon peel strips for the garnish, use a carrot peeler or small knife. Be sure to cut just the yellow peel and not the white pith under it.
- If you plan to tote this cake to a get-together, be sure to use an insulated cooler to keep it cold.
- The Wow Factor For a shower dessert, garnish each piece with a small paper beverage umbrella.