Serves : 2 - 4 servings
- 1 small fennel bulb, trimmed and thinly sliced lengthways
- 1 tbsp chives, finely chopped
- 2 medium floury potatoes
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 200ml lactose- or dairy-free milk of choice
- 1 tbsp lactose-free butter
- A handful of cheese of choice, such as parmesan, cheddar or gruyere
Preparation Method :
1) Preheat the oven to 200°C (gas 6) and lightly butter a small baking dish.
2) Place a saucepan of lightly salted water over a medium heat and boil the fennel for 5 minutes or until tender. Drain and put to one side.
3) Thinly slice the potatoes. Layer the potato slices and fennel in the dish, seasoning each layer with a little salt, pepper and sprinkling of chives as you go. Finish with potato as the last layer. Pour the milk over the potatoes and fennel, dot the top with a little butter and cover with foil.
4) Bake for 35 minutes. Remove the foil, sprinkle with the cheese and return to the oven for 10 minutes or until golden brown on top and the veggies tender.
- Substitute the parmesan with another hard lactose-free cheese to keep this vegetarian.