Serves : 8 servings
Preparation time : 35 minutes
Total Time: 3 hour
- 10 cups cubed French or challah bread (3/4 inch)
- 8 tbsp milk
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 5-6 tbsp light brown sugar (packed)
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
Preparation Method :
1) The oven will be preheated to 300 degrees F/ 150 degrees C.
2) The bread cubes will be spread on a cookie sheet. Bake them in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes. Make sure they are dry before stopping the baking process.
3) Fold foil into thirds and use it for lining the sides of the slow cooker. Grease using cooking spray.
4) The rest of the ingredients will be beaten in a large bowl. The bread cubes will be folded in to coat. Set aside for a quarter of an hour (you can fold from time to time).
5) Melt butter (2 tbsp) in a skillet. After adding the apples, cook for about 5 minutes. Stir from time to time.
6) Add 6 tbsp butter in a different bowl and stir in apple pecan filling ingredients. Continue to stir until crumbly.
7) Transfer half of the bread mixture in the slow cooker. After placing half of the apples in the slow cooker, too, spread half of the brown sugar mixture over them. This layering will be repeated.
8) Cover the slow cooker, set the heat on Low and cook for 150-180 minutes. Stop the cooking process when the center is set (160 degrees F).
9) Using a table knife, loosen the edges of the foil and remove it. Spread powdered sugar.
10) You can serve it with syrup.
- I would recommend you to use the following types of apples: Braeburn, Northern Spy, Gtanny Smith, Rome Beauty or Cortland.
- I would also recommend you to use an oval slow cooker. Although the foil will prevent it from browning too quickly, make sure the French Toast will not get overdone.